Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Road Trip: Kilkenny







Kilkenny Design Centre
Castle Yard, Kilkenny




Butler House
16 Patrick Street
St Canice's Cathedral
Rothe House
Parliament Street
1 Rose Inn Street
Langton Hotel
 69 John Street

Continuing in the spirit of staycations and unearthing Ireland’s gems I parked my car in MacDonagh Junction Shopping Centre in Kilkenny and set about exploring the home of The Cats. While it's obviously famed for it's phenomenal hurling success, Kilkenny is also a beautiful medieval city with Kilkenny Castle the jewel it’s crown. I kicked off the day at the Kilkenny Design Centre restaurant with a hearty fry and a brownie, yes that's correct I had a brownie with my breakfast, it's never too early for desert in my books. With a full belly I  stepped out into the sun to see what the city has to offer. If you want to sit back and relax somewhere peaceful, visit Butler House's walled garden right behind the design centre. There's also the most relaxing walk along the rivers edge beside the castle, walking in the shades of the trees you feel like your in the middle of nowhere. To begin your historical trip around the city start with Kilkenny Castle and Butler Art Gallery (read more here), then follow Saint Canice's steps to the Cathedral and round tower. Don't miss Kyteler's Inn, one of the oldest inns in Ireland, it's colourful first owner was accused of witchcraft and was sentenced to be burned. Kilkenny is also one of my favorite places to shop from the perfectly curated pieces in both Folkster and their vintage kilo store, to the quirky gifts you can pick up in The Gift Horse, The Design Centre and Bridies Bar & General Store, to the Smashbox stand in Boots Mac Donagh Junction

By the end of the day my camera was full and my feet were sore so I finished the day with a well earned feed in Langtons Hotel. Kilkenny has everything you need for a staycation; history, nature, shopping, great food and an excellent nightlife. Where are your favorite spots for a staycation?
xox
Share:

4 comments

  1. Love Kilkenny! Great photos Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! Looks like a gorgeous place, and that chocolate brownie looks like amazing. Great post as always :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pretty buildings and this post certainly catered for it!

    Pop over to my blog!

    Sarah
    https://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post just makes me want to travel more, its such a beautiful place and your photos are so pretty! I'm definitely craving a brownie and some chips now though haha.

    Eloise x // www.mallowbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading xox

© thriftylilpixie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig