Monday, October 13, 2014

Mt Vesuvius




One of the main reasons I booked our holiday to Sorrento was so we could visit Mt Vesuvius and Pompeii. Clearly I had major bucket list achievements in mind planning my holidays this year. Obviously Mt Vesuvius is famous for the eruption that buried and destroyed Pompeii and Herculaneum, so I wanted to see them both to get a feel for the history of the area. What I didn't know was that Mt Vesuvius is the only volcano in mainland Europe to have erupted in the last century. Or that it's considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world as the area surrounding it is so densely populated. While I didn't get any sense of danger from being on the volcano itself, it's really clear how deadly an eruption would be as the area around it is so populated and busy. To access the top of the volcano and see the crator, you do have to walk, but it is a gorgeous walk. The sun was shinning for our visit and the walk started off baking hot and challenging but the higher you go the cooler it gets and the whole walk gets so relaxing. Take your time as you go up the mountain as the views are breathtaking. It's quite hard to capture amazing experiences sometimes, to try and record everything you saw. While these pictures really don't do the view justice, it's just a little snapshot into my adventure and I hope it inspires you to visit someday because it is worth every minute.



We visited both Mt  Vesuvius and Pompeii in the same day, I'd recommend this if your going as they're so entwined in history it's really surreal and fascinating to experience them together. Also if you decide to go dress comfortably with good shoes for walking, okay it won't make for amazing outfit pictures but you don't want to be stressed out trying to take in everything because your wearing dainty sandals. Writing posts like these are my favorite thing about lifestyle blogging, writing it might not lead to lots of comments or followers but it's a personal scrapbook of my adventures. I love being able to look back at the incredible experiences I've been lucky enough to have, flick through the photos and relive it. I might never become a 'successful' blogger but I'll have one great diary to look back on and feel truly grateful. 
xox
Share:

6 comments

  1. Hi dear and thank you for your visit!!! I've never been to Vesuvius Volcano, but I think it should be a fantastic place. I would love to have the chance to visit it. ! Today I have a new post at my blog. Do you want to tell me what do you think? Kisses,
    Eni

    new post
    http://eniwherefashion.blogspot.it/2014/10/abito-bicolore-e-decollete-neresecondo.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there years ago, loved it. Looks like you had a fab trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, what a cool trip! i wanna go!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. there's a £129 RayBan giveaway on my blog if you're interested! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel kind of bad that I didn't visit it when I went to Rome this summer…

    www.girlattitudes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWOW!!! What a view!!! Looks like you had the BESSSST time! Great climb!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like the most epic hike - surreal sounds like a proper word to describe being that close to an active volcano. I know the chances of it erupting are slim, but still, I might be nervous being there, let alone living there!
    http://www.iamchiconthecheap.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading xox

© thriftylilpixie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig